Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life Vest Lessons

Life jackets have come a long way since I've been a kid. I remember when I was out on a boat, they were always the bulky, annoying part of the trip. But after taking a look today many of the vests are much less cumbersome, more lightweight. Today, my story centered around whether or not folks should be forced to wear the jackets on the water. I've covered several drownings in recent days, so I can certainly see their importance. Even more hard hitting --- the comments from many of the LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries agents. They say, between 2005 and 2008 not a single drowning victim in a fatal accident covered by their office had been wearing a life vest. Stark statistics that may have me reaching for life vest next time I climb on board a boat. I am a strong swimmer, but as one boater told me, those swimming skills don't really matter all that much if an accident knocks you unconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment