Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hi-Tech Thieves

Today my story focused on identity theft. It's a topic that comes up a lot in the news, but I'm always surprised at just how many scams find their way to our area. For the last two weeks, I've been receiving e-mails from a group claiming to be Bank of America. They've got the logo and even a convincing-looking link, but it's all just a scam. I've done so many stories on the topic that I knew right away to be cautious, but I can see how people are fooled. Now there are even 'phishing' text messages. But perhaps the most annoying, at least for me, those "your warranty is about to expire" calls. Answering my work phone to hear some woman or man yelling about me through a taped recording that it's my "final warning" is unnerving at best. I guess one price of all the wonderful technological advances is that there's always hi-tech thieves and scammers following close behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment